With all the detoxification your body is going through you can support yourself at this time and reduce those symptoms by following these guidelines:
- Eat seasonally and start to alter the foods you eat to match the energy of the spring.
- Make the transition towards a lighter diet with lots of chlorophyll-rich green vegetables.
- Slowly increase your raw intake but still include some warming soups and stews.
- Start the day with a mug of warm water with ½ a squeezed lemon to stimulate your liver.
- Skin brush with a natural bristle brush towards your heart to stimulate your lymphatic system. And keep those toxins moving out of the body with 8 glasses of water spread throughout the day.
- For breakfast, have some protein to help avoid blood sugar symptoms listed above.
- Move away from the porridge and try a smoothie made with soaked almonds and seeds, fruit, natural yoghurt and soaked linseeds.
- Start your meals with some sprouted seeds and pulses - mung beans and alfalfa are superfoods, high in nutrients and digestive enzymes which have a powerful effect on the liver.
- Include ginger and quinoa (a complete protein and great for energy) to support your kidneys.
- Increase potassium rich foods – green leafy vegetables, parsley, watercress, peas, bananas, apples, avocados, raisins, apricots, seeds and nuts and oily fish.
- Finally, you can use naturopathic techniques such as skin brushing, Epsom salt baths and enemas to help support and clear organs that may be struggling. A colonic at this time can be very helpful.
Spring Recipe: Beetroot, Carrot and Apple Coleslaw
Grate a beetroot, 2 Carrots and an apple
2 spring onions or red onions – finely sliced
Handful of soaked sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Handful of mixed vine fruits (or raisins)
Handful of parsley – chopped
Mix all ingredients together.
Dress with French dressing (olive oil, cider vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard).
Serve with watercress, avocado, sprouted mung beans and quinoa.Enjoy!
For 1-to-1 nutritional advice call me, Nicki Edgell on 07786405366 or visit my website at www.nutritionandhealing.co.uk for information on talks and workshops. Find all foods mentioned at Pulse, Brighton Open Market, or Infinity Foods.